Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Robert I. Eachus eachus at aries.mitre.org
Wed Mar 27 21:28:34 AEST 1991

   I said:
   > I don't count the low end SPARCstations, because the initial cost
   > is sky high. They only compete when you already have an active
   > Sun network.  you might be able to put together a ten box system
   > for under $10K per seat, but quantity one will kill you.

   And lots of people tried to explain how they could get this system
or that one for a "reasonable" price.  First of all, this is not
intended as a flame of Sun in any way.  We have LOTS of Sun
workstations here.  HOWEVER, when we go to put a machine in a locked
room disconnected from the corporate network (something we have to do
from time to time), Sun's often become uncompetitive with other
workstations which were designed to operate standalone.

    Now, YOU may be willing to operate in such an environment without
a fast backup capability, but if we do that, we incur either lots of
wrath if there is no recent backup, or the cost of someone sitting
around while the machine is backed up.  What we like to do is to be
able to set the system up so that it can be backed up without operator
intervention. Again, not a problem with Suns, but the configurations
that we end up with cost between $10 and $15K (including basic
software and first year maintenance) with a reasonable amount of disk.

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
use  STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;
function MESSAGE (TEXT: in CLEVER_IDEAS) return BETTER_IDEAS is...