Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Randell Jesup jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sat Mar 16 14:22:15 AEST 1991

In article <19887 at cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh at cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <392 at tcr.UUCP> xenon at tcr.UUCP (Chris Hanson) writes:
>
>>    7) I have also run a rough benchmarking program (that supposably computed
>>drystones per second) on the 3000UX/25, an 030 NeXT, and a DTK 80386/25
>>running ESIX SysV R3.2.2. The NeXT averaged about 9000, the 386 about 12000,
>>and the 3000 got about 3200. For comparison, the 3200 reading was from code
>>compiled with the AT&T cc compiler. Compiling the same source with the GNU
>>gcc compiler netted us a figure of over 6500.

	The AT&T cc in SysVr4 has no optimization stage, I believe.  GCC is
far preferable currently.  Also, things like inlining string routines can
make a major difference in dhrystone (1000's), registerized parameters, 16
bit ints, etc.

>>The 68030's internal cache is too small to be of much use in Unix,
>
>Actually, it helps out quite a bit, believe it or not.  The internal cache
>isn't large, but it is efficient.  Since the 68030 has separate internal data
>and instruction paths, when both caches hit, you wind up doing fetches in
>parallel where the pipeline permits.

>This sized cache isn't going to hold entire programs, but it's not bad on
>program inner loops, or function calls (if you UNIX folks still push stuff
>on the stack, call a function, and then pop it off).

	Turning off the caches on my 3000 causes a particular make
(entirely from ram:, compiler resident, etc) to go from 170 seconds to
250.  It helps.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)