Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Brett Bourbin brett at visix.com
Thu Mar 14 09:25:04 AEST 1991

In article <CPETTERB.91Mar13105501 at mickey.es.com> cpetterb at es.com (Cary Petterborg) writes:
>In article <392 at tcr.UUCP> xenon at tcr.UUCP (Chris Hanson) writes:
>

>>  2) I understand that AT&T has defined Open Look to be the standard window
>
>Dumb Standards?  Motif is, IMHO, not as good as OpenLook.  I use a
                                                 ^^^^^^^^
>system running Motif for more than 8 hours a day.  I also use OpenLook
>applications.  I have also read in great detail the Style Guides for
>both.  So I am not ignorant of the issues.  If you want Motif, go ahead
>and port it!
>
>X11R4 gives you at two advantages and falls sort in at least two from
>OpenWindows (NeWS/X11).  The advantages it has are slightly better
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Commodore is not shipping OpenWindows with the NeWS/X11 server, they are
shipping a X11 server based on the OPEN LOOK spec.  It does not have the
NeWS postscript extensions, it does not have the server enhancements, it
is a different product from the SUN OpenWindows.

With that said, I too work with Motif, but work with OPEN LOOK since our
products have both Look-N-Feels.  They both have their merits and their
pitfalls.  I like the idea of push-pins for menus and dialogs from the OPEN
LOOK spec, but the "zoom" effect for notices is a pain to work with if
your server does not have shape extensions.  The spec gets around this by
saying you can not pop-up a dialog or any type of window when one of these
"zoom" notices is on the screen.  (OpenWindows actually grabs the server with
is against the OPEN LOOK spec.)

The end results should be, IMHO, "Let the user decide".  If they wish to get
the Motif package, then Commodore should be willing to supply them with such.
If they want an OPEN LOOK environment, the same.

X application developers, such as Visix, are starting to ship software that
will allow users to pick their Look-N-Feel.  Sorry about the plug.  8^)

--
                                __
  Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive