Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Bill Gribble bgribble at jarthur.Claremont.EDU
Fri Mar 22 05:30:10 AEST 1991

Just a few notes to add fuel to the fl- uh, discussion.

[Please don't misinterpret this as a wholehearted endorsement of Amiga Unix:
  I still have doubts.  But I am concerned with what appears to be
  misinformation or misconception.]

About getting a high-resolution display, and the concern that doing so
  would put the 3000ux into high end pricing:  if you don't really care
  about color (I know, that's not valid for everybody) the A2024 monitor
  has been available for some time with (I think) 1280x800, 4 grey scale.
  This is as good as your typical low end SPARC or NeXTstation.  And a
  quick check to the price list reveals that the A2024 is the same price
  as the 1950, and is (if I'm not mistaken) swappable with the 1950 in
  any unix bundles.

About the I-like-386i-unix guy's assertion that text-only virtual terminals
  are pretty hip:  Commodore agrees wholeheartedly.  That's why you can
  get up to [I think] 20 of them on the current release of Amiga Unix without
  ever even thinking about X.

About the 3000ux as a viable competitor in the  lowend workstation market:
  [this is entirely conjecture, so don't believe a word of it] I think the
  3000ux's main competitor right now is the NeXTstation, and, frankly,
  the ux is losing right now,  The lack of available 040 cards is what
  does it.  But a 3000ux + A2024 + 040 = NeXTstation + 100meg of disk +
  expansion potential.  The expansion capability is an unquantifiable
  benefit, but if I can get a 040-based 3000ux running sys5 I would definitely
  overlook a fair-sized price differential in the NeXT's favor, especially
  since this computer will be mine (and the only one I have) rather than
  the school's or the company's and I don't want to stick myself with
  a NeXTstation with absolutely NO way to make it any better.

Honestly, at this point, I really don't know what's going to happen with
  Amiga Unix.  But I give them a lot more credit than most people on this
  group seem to.