second thoughts on buying a 3000UX

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sat Mar 2 06:35:42 AEST 1991

>P.S.  The conclusion was that the best SVR4 system would have to have
>superior DMA for all I/O, very fast video ram, (get this!) the Unix
>file system (she said that her tests showed that a well-tuned UFS was
>actually faster than a well-tuned Berkeley FFS!),

Err, umm, the file system that comes with S5R4 under the name "UFS" *IS*
the Berkeley FFS.  (The "U" doesn't stand for anything.  Truly.  Don't
ask.)

Did she (or you) mean "System V file system" (S5FS)?

(And also, did she describe the circumstances under which it's faster -
for big sequential I/O the FFS may be faster in any case - or how easy
it is to tune the two file systems, or how the performance for both
falls off as they get less well tuned?)

>a disk block size and page size had to be equal, and a couple things that
>don't come to mind right now.  Basically, in my mind, she unintentionally
>described the Amiga 3000UX.

I assume the 3000UX supports UFS, and not just S5FS; I'm willing to put
up with some performance loss in exchange for not having to keep the
number "14" in mind....