Amiga 3000UX, X, OpenLook, Motif, Color, A2410, Etc. (somewhat long)

Randell Jesup jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Mar 19 07:04:01 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar18.051407.4163 at kessner.denver.co.us> david at kessner.denver.co.us (David D. Kessner) writes:
>In article <19933 at cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>	I'd say commodore spent quite a while on the unix - it's been in the
>>works (at one level or another) ever since I joined the company 3 years ago.
>>Also, look at the comparisons with other SysVr4 machines that someone posted
>>here, as to what state they're in, etc.
>
>Well.  Perhapse.  But people like SCO can get away with that.  Other than that
>there are several 386 UNIX makers that have a SysVr4 working quite nicely
>but have not released it yet-- because they have some "piddly" little things
>that need to be cleaned up...

	Well, the Unix group was at that point 8 or 9 months ago, when a
load of machines were sent to VPI for all their CS students.  I think they
were the first of the r4 porters to get networking up, for example (they had
it at some show around a year ago in NYC, if I remember right).

>All in all, the Amiga UNIX gives me the impresseion that it is not complete
>and has been rushed.  It is just barely out the door and there are already
>talk of the next verson!  Damn, sounds like the Macs System 7.

	There's nothing really wrong with keeping improving the product.
Certain things were left off for the initial release (like an easy way to
relink with different device drivers, etc), but that doesn't mean that it
will be a long while before 2.0 is available.  X11R4 is running here, and has
been for a while.

	Also, if you get a chance take a look at the documentation, man pages,
etc.  A lot of work was put in by the Unix group to make the package a really
well-done setup, with good documentation (the best I've seen for a unix box,
though I admit I haven't seen all that many (Sun, Ultrix, 3B1)).

>I guess that I am just annoyed at all the folks that are thinking that the
>A3000UX is the ultimate workstation-- I gotta unsubscribe to
>comp.sys.amiga.advocacy!

	I wouldn't call it the ultimate workstation.  I would call it a
good workstation at a really good price, with a very complete OS.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup at cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)