Comments from someone using A/UX

Wytze van der Raay wytze at gouldnl.UUCP
Wed Aug 10 17:37:54 AEST 1988

In article <571 at sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> liam at cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
>3. The default IP broadcast address is not the Berkeley default
>
>The default IP broadcast address is hostpart = all ones, in our
>case 42.255.255.255, whereas our other machines expect the
>Berkeley(?) convention of hostpart = all zeros, i.e. 42.0.0.0
>To achieve the desired effect we have to make an explicit
>ifconfig call which sets the broadcast address to 42.0.0.0

I'm afraid your Berkeley systems are out-of-date. Since the days of BSD 4.3
the default IP broadcast address is indeed hostpart = all ones, thereby
correcting the BSD 4.2 anomaly of using all zeros, which was not according
to the recommendation in RFC919.
So rather than condemning Apple's AUX on his point, it should be praised,
for keeping up-to-date with current IP broadcast standards.

--
| Wytze van der Raay                      ...!mcvax!gouldnl!wytze |
| Gould European Unix Support Centre             wytze at gouldnl.nl |