Running MacOS applications under A/UX

William Roberts liam at cs.qmc.ac.uk
Tue Aug 9 06:00:42 AEST 1988

If anyone is interested, my summer student has come up with
some working code that can read files from a MacOS HFS
partition under A/UX: it currently emulates the simple UNIX and
stdio calls, namely open, close, read, write, stat, fopen, fread,
and fwrite.  It works well enough to compile & run a vanilla BSD "ls"
program, plus a few copy utilities; in progress is a version of the
user-level NFS server posted to the net recently.

Snags: we don't have enough documentation about what is
actually on the disk surface (Inside Macintosh sort of assumes
that you have used the toolbox to read things) and I am still
not 100% happy with the way his code is structured. Lacking
sufficient information we can't write files, so this is all
strictly read-only.

However, if anyone is interested I could put a beta version
onto the net for you to play with - I would want bug reports...
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam at cs.qmc.ac.uk  (gw: cs.ucl.edu)
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam at qmc-cs.UUCP