Some notes on problems in A/UX

Jef Poskanzer pokey at well.UUCP
Thu Aug 18 04:38:42 AEST 1988

In the referenced message, hugh at hoptoad.uucp (|-|ugh Daniel) wrote:
}	(Question: Has anyone else run into cases where fsck finds a
}	problem, reboots, then finds ANOTHER problem so bad it has to
}	reboot a second time?  I have seen this in A/UX and never
}	elsewhere.)

When I was using pre-release A/UX, I would typically reboot once or twice
a day.  fsck would find and fix a problem about on about half of these
reboots.  Maybe once in two weeks, it would do a double reboot as you
describe above.  And twice in N months, it went into continuous reboots.
fsck would claim to have fixed the problem, reboot, and then do exactly
the same thing again.  When I showed this to a wizard he mumbled something
about fsck not flushing all its buffers -- sounds pretty dangerous to me!

Anyway, I haven't used A/UX since it was released, and I assumed all these
problems were fixed.  Apparently not.
---
Jef

             Jef Poskanzer   jef at rtsg.ee.lbl.gov   ...well!pokey
          It's hard to see the forest when you're one of the trees.