Ethernet problem

William Kucharski kucharsk at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com
Fri Dec 16 12:13:00 AEST 1988

Well, I didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd try again...

We are having problems bringing up our A/UX machines on Ethernet.
We often get the following sequence of messages, which brings the
Ethernet card down:

ae0: overflow NIC reset failed
ae6_intr: receive overflow warning

Has anyone else had this problem, or did you all just pop your machines
onto Ethernet and have them work?

Details:
========
System kernel remade in the "nfs" incarnation, following the steps
outlined in the "READ THIS FIRST" A/UX Installation guide.

After bringing up the card (ifconfig ae0 up), the following commands work:

ruptime
rwho
ftp, when given a full Internet address (i.e. 192.2....)
telnet, when given a full Internet address

The card will be forced down by anything that does a gethostbyname()
call, such as

ftp (with a hostname)
telnet (with a hostname)
rlogin
ping

The card also forces itself down asynchronously from time to time.

A Sun up the line from the Mac II has no problems whatsoever, nor does
the Mac II when using EtherTalk from Mac OS.

||==ETHERNET=======||========SUN
||                 ||
                 MAC II

This all makes me think I've missed a configuration step somewhere,
but unless it's something hidden or a typo in the manual, I have no
clues...

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk at uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.