... how do you copy in/out from HFS disks?

clive at drutx.UUCP clive at drutx.UUCP
Thu May 12 07:08:23 AEST 1988

>From article <9436 at apple.Apple.Com>, by phil at Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone):
>
> After all, if we put everything in release 1.0, we here in the A/UX
> development group would be out of a job!

It's a good point...

> Last - to be specific, and to see if we have left anything out, what
> do Y'ALL want in an A/UX <-> HFS transfer utility?

It seems the only reasonable thing is transparency, isn't it?

Mac disks should appear as mounted Unix filesystems, and conversely
the Unix file system should appear as a mounted Mac filesystem.

Then either OS could work with files from the other, since of course
the drivers would do such things as newline translation, name.fork
notation for non-text files (perhaps it would be easy to follow the
macput/get standards), etc..

I hope you'll do something like this, at least!  It doesn't sound too
hard.

A further, much harder step would be application translation for files
owned by particular applications, in the spirit of Apple File Exchange.
Many would pant for Word to Troff, or at least RTF-Troff translation,
for instance.  You'd have to get Marketing to decide if the $$ would
be worth it.

Clive Steward