A/UX questions

Steve Grandi grandi at noao.arizona.edu
Tue May 24 03:26:07 AEST 1988

We support a large astronomical software package called IRAF (Image
Reduction and Analysis Facility) that is in use at 150+ sites around the
world on machines running many varieties of Unix, VMS and a Data General
OS whose name escapes me.  Several universites have asked us for a port to
the Mac II running A/UX and since we have some NASA money to port IRAF to
new systems, we are planning to acquire a Mac II of our own with A/UX so we
can do the initial port and keep it going over further IRAF releases.

I have two initial questions:  How do we get A/UX?  The local Computerland
will be glad to sell us the Mac II with all the trimmings, but they can't
sell us A/UX.  The University of Arizona is not an Apple Consortium member
(in any case, we aren't officialy a part of the U of A).  So how can we get
A/UX?

What is the state of the A/UX Fortran compiler?  IRAF is mostly Fortran and
compiler quality is the limiting factor in all our ports (even the best of
compilers have optimizer bugs on a few of our modules).  Any third party
compilers?
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar,ihnp4}!noao!grandi or uunet!noao.arizona.edu!grandi