Fun with Dick and Jane

Tim Endres time at oxtrap.oxtrap.UUCP
Tue Aug 1 02:58:01 AEST 1989

In article <282 at afsg.Apple.COM> ron at afsg.Apple.COM (Ron Flax) writes:

   You people are all complaining about problems with A/UX 1.0,
   all of these things are fixed in 1.1.  Furthermore 1.0 was
   primarily designed to be a first cut/developer release of
   A/UX to get a feel for what people would want in a UNIX
   product from Apple.  We've listened to the problems and have
   made the appropriate changes in 1.1.

   On the subject of getting 1.1, my understanding is that if
   you have subscribed to the Update Service, you should have been
   updated, otherwise you probably havn't.

I must agree. I had 1.0, and while I had trouble getting my upgrade
(late), I must say that 1.1 was worth the wait!

I must also praise Apple for the packaging of the 1.1 update. Most
companies would force me to buy their very undesirable tape drive to
do the upgrade, but Apple managed to provide me with a floppy
solution. One, in fact, that is simple, and well packaged. And,
although I had to call someone at Apple to sort out the delay, I
received my update UPS in two days! Thank you, Doug Radcliffe.

Further, with release 1.1, I am doing development for a large system
that runs across Sequent Symmetry, Sun, Dec3100, workstations on a
network distributed across New York and Chicago. The combination of
System V shared memory and semaphore models with BSD sockets allows me
to completely develop this system at home on my Mac!

And, to top it off, I can run MacDrawII, HyperCard, Word 4.0 (I hope),
and many others, while my massive makes go on in the background!

Apple, could you please provide us with a terminal DA?!?!?!?!
I am desperate to start background work while I am in HyperCard!
I have tried many hacks, but I can't pull it off.

Again, Thanks Apple. I never thought you'd give me Unix. I never
thought it would be so well integrated. For a product that is
certainly not your bread and butter, you've done a lot!