problems with rdump

Charles Anderson cander at unisoft.UUCP
Thu Aug 10 03:23:40 AEST 1989

>From article <4304 at portia.Stanford.EDU>, by davef at jessica.stanford.edu (David Finkelstein):
> DUMP: Cannot open /dev/dsk/c3d0s0
Are you sure it's the block device and not the raw device?

> We can run /etc/dump.bsd just fine and dump /dev/dsk/c3d0s0 to
> /dev/null (for all the good it does us).
> Has anybody else had this problem?  How have people been able to get
> /etc/rdump to work?

What are the permissions/ownership for dump/rdump and /dev/[r]dsk/XXX?
As I remember they're not correct in the distribution.  I'm not sure
what they should be, as my disks are 666 (why pretend that Unix is
secure?).  I know that dump and rdump should be setuid and should be
owned by someone other than root who can open the disk devices,
probably daemon or bin.  If root owns rdump, when it goes to rsh on to
your tape server it might get permission denied if the dumping host is
not listed in /.rhosts.  The bottom line is you can set the
permissions/ownerships up in any number of different ways depending on
how paranoid you care to be about security.  Anyone out there care to
offer "the best" configuration?

--

Charles.
{sun, amdahl, ucbvax, pyramid, uunet}!unisoft!cander