X window trouble under A/UX (1.1)

LUBKT at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu LUBKT at vax1.cc.lehigh.edu
Thu Dec 21 02:08:39 AEST 1989

I have been trying to compile X-window under A/UX 1.1, but there is a
bizarre problem I always run into. Those who have compiled X-window
under A/UX would know what I have to say next. Here are the steps that
I followed:

	1. cd to $BUILD/server/ddx/macII and execute the shell script
	R3setup.sh. This builds a public domain cpp and sets up few
	misplaced files.
	2. Then at the top-level directory ($BUILD), I issued the
	command:
		make BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=-DmacII World > make.world &
	3. This builds all of the makefiles from the machine
	independent Imakefiles. The problem occurs when building
	$BUILD/X11/bitmaps/Makefile from $BUILD/X11/bitmaps/IMakefile.
	The resulting Makefile is not a proper makefile as it contains
	some lines that do not follow make syntax. Looking at the
	Makefile, it appears that the problem is in makedepend. However,
	the above problem does not appear if I cd to $BUILD/X11/bitmaps
	directory and run Imake directly.

Make complains about the syntax of the improperly constructed Makefile
in $BUILD/X11/bitmaps directory and terminates prematurely. Did any of
one of you folks encountered similar trouble compiling X window or am
I the only one? I would really appreciate your comments and
suggestions. Thanks in advance.

 Binod Taterway, User Consultant, Lehigh University Computing Center
 Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015.         Tel: (215) 758-3984
 E-mail: LUBKT at vax1.cc.lehigh.EDU (Internet),     BT00 at lehigh.BITNET