Screen dimmer needed for console

wtr at moss.ATT.COM wtr at moss.ATT.COM
Mon Feb 20 22:45:10 AEST 1989

In article <10612 at ut-emx.UUCP> dlnash at ut-emx.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) writes:
>In article <137 at bourbon.ee.tulane.edu>, barad at bourbon.ee.tulane.edu (Herb Barad) writes:
>> In article <1401 at umbio.MIAMI.EDU* aem at Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
>> *This has been posted before. It is a screen dimmer by Earl Wallace
>> *at Apple. We use it here on our macs.
>>
>> This is a nice dimmer and in fact we use it on our A/UX Macs.
>> However, it must be run manually from the console once after booting.
>> It cannot be run automatically from the inittab file, else it will not
>> be associated with the console and tends to cause many other troubles.
>
>I run it from inittab just fine.  Just redirect stdout to /dev/console
>and it works.  Here is my line from inittab:
>
>dim::once:/usr/local/bin/dimmer -p 0 > /dev/console

wouldn't it be a little 'better' to run the dimmer from
within the /etc/rc scripts.  i'm not real familiar with
AU/X, but if it's SysV based, this would be apropriate.

just pointing out that it seems to be good practice to
keep inittab as clean as possible and remove all the nitty/gritty
details down to the script level.

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)