The Relationship Between TCP/IP and B-Net?

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Thu Feb 16 03:36:27 AEST 1989

In article <468 at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> eberard at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu (Edward Berard) writes:
>I am looking for information regarding TCP/IP and B-Net. Specifically,
>I would like either an explanation of their relationship, ...
>Are there any good self-contained references on B-Net? (I am not
>even sure if "B-Net" is a generic name, or a vendor-specific term.)

B-NET stands for Berkeley NETworking. It is the name supplied to the BSD 4.x
networking code ported over to A/UX (which is System V based). A reasonable
reference is the A/UX manual "A/UX Communications User's Guide".

B-NET (or BNET) the term was coined by UniSoft. UniSoft has spelled it both
ways for a number of years.

| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  | Computer viruses don't cause security problems,    |
| Cupertino CA 95014     | computer programmers do ...                        |