Screen dimmer needed for console

Herb Barad barad at bourbon.ee.tulane.edu
Sat Feb 18 00:30:55 AEST 1989

In article <1401 at umbio.MIAMI.EDU* aem at Mthvax.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) writes:
*In <523 at ivucsb.UUCP*, <lemke at apple.ucsb.edu* wrote:
**Has anyone got a screen dimmer that works on the console in A/UX?  Has
**anyone experimented with using regular Mac OS ones dumped into the SASH
**partition's System Folder?  I tried to boot with SuperClock in the system
**folder and ran into problems, so I haven't tried any screen dimmer inits
**yet.  Anything would be fine - a daemon of some sort or an init for the
**Mac partition.  Any ideas?  (Actually, I'm still looking for something to
**write the time into the menu bar for me - any ideas about that would be
**appreciated, too).
*
*This has been posted before. It is a screen dimmer by Earl Wallace
*at Apple. We use it here on our macs.

This is a nice dimmer and in fact we use it on our A/UX Macs.
However, it must be run manually from the console once after booting.
It cannot be run automatically from the inittab file, else it will not
be associated with the console and tends to cause many other troubles.

We have a student lab and the A/UX machines get rebooted a lot.  Don't
ask me why, I guess students can't read the "Do not reboot" signs.  In
any case, we would really like a screen saver that can be run from the
inittab file.  Any hints???--
Herb Barad	[Signal & Image Processing Laboratory]
		[Electrical Engineering Dept. - Tulane Univ.]
INTERNET:	barad at ee.tulane.edu
USENET:		barad at bourbon.uucp