The Relationship Between TCP/IP and B-Net?

Edward Berard eberard at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 15 08:16:21 AEST 1989

I am looking for information regarding TCP/IP and B-Net. Specifically,
I would like either an explanation of their relationship, or a pointer
to where such an explanation could be found. Also useful would be an
explanation of the relationship between B-Net and NFS (Network File
System), and RPC (Remote Procedure Call).

As I understand it... Pipes, socketpairs and sockets are part of
B-Net. Sockets with Internet Domain map to TCP (stream) or UDP
(datagram). A/UX (and Sun) have NFS that is built on TCP/UDP/IP to
avoid using lower-level socket abstractions. Is NFS (and related
layers) part of B-Net or a separate product (protocol)?

Are there any good self-contained references on B-Net? (I am not
even sure if "B-Net" is a generic name, or a vendor-specific term.)

				-- Greg M. Bowen
				   (301) 695-6960
				   Toll Free: (800) 877-1815