Ethernets and AUX

Neil McKenzie mckenzie at june.cs.washington.edu
Thu Jan 12 12:47:22 AEST 1989

The story so far:

- Ethernet not working:  the drivers were not loaded.

- The kernel was rebuilt with NFS drivers and installed.

- Now, some things work, but not reliably.
I sent mail to phil at apple.com, and here are some of the high points of the
letter.  Anyone have commentary?  I don't think it's a hardware snafu, but
it's premature to rule out anything.

	Here is a symptom of the problem that occurs after the Mac has
	been running for a few hours:

		ae0 transmitter frozen -- resetting
		ae0:	init failed

	At this point I need to reboot to use the network to do anything.
	----------

	I figured out a way to ftp and telnet from the
	Mac to a remote machine.  Example:

	Step 1:	% ifconfig ae0 down
	Step 2: % ftp
		ftp>
	Step 3: Suspend ftp:
		ftp> ^Z
	Step 4: % ifconfig ae0 up
	Step 5: % fg
		ftp> open june

	Without this sequence, the first call to "ftp" will hang.  Something
	funny is happening on the startup sequence of ftp -- it makes a system
	call or something that just spins, and it seems to have something
	to do with the status of the network.

	Anyway, the network connection now is vaguely useful, but not
	convenient.
	---------

	Another problem is with NFS mounts.  I am running on June and
	I am trying to mount the MacII directory /usr/tesla onto
	june:/u1/mckenzie/tesla.  'tesla' is aliased to 'lis' in June's
	host file.

	% /etc/mount lis:/usr/tesla /u1/mckenzie/tesla
	  nfs_mount: lis:/usr/tesla server not responding: rpc program not
	  registered
	  nfs_mount: retrying /u1/mckenzie/tesla
	^C

	Perhaps it is a simple fix to "register the rpc program" -- or is this
	part of the other problem?