A/UX generic SCSI driver and Syquest 44Mb removable drives

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at polya.Stanford.EDU
Wed Jan 4 02:19:41 AEST 1989

In article <eakdo#+=michael at xanadu.COM> michael at xanadu.UUCP (Michael McClary) writes:

>Suggestion for Apple:  Think seriously about having the SCSI driver save the
>pointers even if the drive doesn't ask you to.  Sure, it means a little more
>code, to support somebody else's bug.  But the bug doesn't manefest under
>finder, so when it shows up under A/UX it looks like YOUR fault, not the
>drive's.

Please don't.  There is a specific use for disconnect without saving pointers,
which is to allow restart of an operation after an error.  This is documented
(in the SCSI standard?  I forget... but I remember reading it).  If the device
is broken, fix it.  But please don't break every other device in order to
cover up one failing (shades of Excel!).

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at polya.stanford.edu)