Ethernets and AUX

Phil Ronzone phil at Apple.COM
Wed Jan 11 10:41:49 AEST 1989

In article <6904 at june.cs.washington.edu> mckenzie at uw-june.UUCP (Neil McKenzie) writes:
>My group at UW (that's Washington, not Wisconsin or Waterloo!) recently
>received a MacIIx + AUX, and I've been trying to make it talk on the
>Ether waves here. ... But it seems that 'ifconfig' always produces the message
>	ifconfig: socket: network is down ...
>Are there any readers of this group have wise words about what to do now?

It sounds as if (perhaps) you have not reconfigured your kernel to bring
in the tcp/ip and (if needed) nfs code. This is described in the release
notes. If you have not done
    newunix nfs
    autoconfig -u -v -o /unix -S /etc/startup
    sync ; reboot
at all on your system then you need to. Again, see your release notes.

| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  | There's a million things we'd like to say, but we  |
| Cupertino CA 95014     | aren't supposed to piss anybody off. Oh well ...   |