ethernet overflow errors

William Roberts liam at cs.qmc.ac.uk
Wed Jan 11 21:53:57 AEST 1989

In article <ecXu9c3TV410102tQOg at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kucharsk at uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:
>>      ku_fastsend: if_output failed: error=70, sendpck=0, am=0
>
>We've had a similar problem at our site.  Basically, it seems A/UX can't
>deal with much Ethernet traffic.  If your Ethernet is at all heavily used,
>the system will print the first two messages and bring the Ethernet card
>off-line.

We never see this problem, and our Ethernet is fairly well
loaded (130+ machines inc Macs/Suns, lots of EtherTalk, lots of
TCP/IP, a few diskless Suns, 45 machines mounting virtually
everything from file servers via NFS, etc., etc.).
However, we are using the Kinetics EtherPort II cards,
so this may be a difference at that level (hardware/driver).

For what it's worth, ku_fastsend is probably associated with NFS
and the error=70 is a standard errno message, namely ENETDOWN,
which is what you'd expect if the driver has just turned its
toes to the sky...
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam at cs.qmc.ac.uk  (gw: cs.ucl.edu)
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam at qmc-cs.UUCP