Academic workstations

Robert Cousins rec at dg.dg.com
Wed Jun 28 00:34:05 AEST 1989

In article <8767 at venera.isi.edu> raveling at venera.isi.edu.UUCP (Paul Raveling) writes:
>In article <2467 at internal.Apple.COM> fair at apple.com (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>>Just try getting Ultrix source from DEC. When you do, you'll find out that
>>it is "for reference purposes only."
>	We haven't managed to get HP-UX source from HP either.
>Paul Raveling
>Raveling at isi.edu

Having watched this thread for a while now, I felt that I just COULDN'T
watch any more.  First of all, when you want an academic workstation,
you sould go for a standard which allows you to buy compatible hardware
from multiple vendors and still run the same binaries. Secondly, any
vendor which will not sell the source code for their operating system
must have something to hide.  The DG/UX sources are licensable and have
been licensed by several third parties and currently is being offered
for resale on their hardware.

When I was in school, the real issue with budgets was to get the most
bang on very few bucks.  I recommend that you check into some of the
new 88K products (from a number of companies aside from my own).  These
are faster than the machines discussed in this thread earlier AND cost
much less.  In some cases under $500/MIPS ready to run.

To avoid turning this into a commercial for my product, I will close
here.  If anyone is interested in 88K based products, just let me know.

Robert Cousins
Dept. Mgr, Workstation Dev't.
Data General Corp.

Speaking for myself alone.