can't login from console

Chuck Karish karish at forel.stanford.edu
Sun Jun 25 04:54:18 AEST 1989

In article <1618 at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> marg at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
(Margarita Suarez) wrote:
>hi, i just inherited a mac II/X with an 80SC with A/UX.  i've not been
>able to boot multi-user from the console -- what happens when i type
>"telinit 2" is an infinite loop of "login:" immediately followed by
>"Login incorrect" (didn't ask for password).

This sounds like what happened once when I had two instances
of `init' running at the same time (on a VAX).  Each `init' starts
a `getty' on each port, and each `getty' reads what the other `getty'
on that port writes.

Are you sure you're using the correct procedure to go to multi-user
mode?

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-7277		karish at forel.stanford.edu