Academic workstations : Macintosh ...

Steve Cavrak,113 Waterman,6561483, cavrak at uvm-gen.UUCP
Sun Jun 11 21:52:12 AEST 1989

> We are in the process of considering the purchase of workstations for
> a small lab in our Computer Science Department.  Our proposed
> configuration calls for 8 workstations (8Mb RAM, 200+Mb disk, large
> monochrome display) and a server.

As a "generic" machine, the Macintosh is probably a better bet ---

1.  when they're "obsolete" as unix workstation, they can be recycled
    as "plain" Macintosh's and sold to "ordinary people".  There is
    a strong desktop publishing market --- you could even "donate"
    them to the library or the alumni office.

2.  even when they are NOT obsolete, they can be used in both the A/UX
    environment and the Macintosh enviornment.  This gives a nice degree
    of flexibility.  E.g. an alternative use for the machines during the
    summer when C programs are not being reinvented, e.g.  hypercard
    development for language courses, etc.

3.  Forget the monochrome, put the color on them.

4.  Definitely network the machines, definitely ethernet them.  But
    keep an 80 mbyte disk on board.

Steve