GCC under A/UX

Richard Michael Todd rmtodd at uokmax.UUCP
Mon Jun 5 07:43:08 AEST 1989

In article <422 at wizard.UUCP> john at wizard.UUCP (John Danner) writes:
>make CC=gcc install
>        gcc -c -g  -DAUX_ASM   -I./config c-parse.tab.c
>Assembler: /tmp/cca00589.s
>        aline 13915     : Warning: Table overflow: some optimizations lost (Labels)
>        aline 8707      : Symbol Table Stack Overflow
  This is because the A/UX assembler is as braindead as the A/UX compiler.
(Maybe someday the AT&T chaps will learn how to use malloc and not use
fixed-size tables.  Maybe.)  Compiling with -g causes the assembler to
overflow its tables, hence the "symbol table stack" overflow.  As the old
joke goes, "It hurts when I do that" "Don't do that!".  Taking out the -g
flag will allow you to compile successfully.  (The "Warning: Table overflow"
messages don't appear to affect anything.)
Richard Todd   rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
                                    aka     ...!sun!texsun!uokmax!rmtodd
"Bible-punching heavyweight evangelistic boxing kangaroos..."