Future direction of A/UX?

Michael McClary michael at xanadu.COM
Sat May 20 19:34:04 AEST 1989

In article <31123 at apple.apple.com> phil at Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) writes:

>Well, I sure would like TV commercials for A/UX on prime time. Apple makes
>(~) more Macintoshes in a DAY than SUN makes workstations in a MONTH (assuming
>SUN runs the their factory 7 days a week).
>
>The big majority of those Macintoshes are not A/UX, so guess where the ad
>budgets go?

Let me get this straight.  Apple is selling lots of Non-A/UX Macs, and
nowhere near as many A/UX systems.  So they're plowing the advertising
bux into Non-A/UX Macs and NOT into A/UX.

Say WHAT?

Hasn't corporate heard of dimishing returns?  Or positive feedback?
Or self-fulfilling prophecies?

I thought a primary purpose of advertising was to let people know there
was something to buy, and part of the development budget for each new
product was a product-introduction ad campaign.

I haven't seen even even one burst of A/UX ads, which makes me a sucker
for the "A/UX is just for procurement check boxes" story.  I suspect
others are in the same boat.

You might want to use the above arguments to shake loose some more ad
money.

But if the budget makers are stuck in the mindset of throwing the ad
money where the sales are already good, try calculating the
sales/advertising dollar ratio for MacSystemFinder versus MacA/UX.

	Good Luck!

If you only shoot what you meant to shoot, you've got all the gun control
you need.