Difficulties with serial ports and carrier detect.

Tim Endres time at oxtrap.uucp
Tue Oct 31 00:01:57 AEST 1989

I have a new IIcx with four Telebits stacked to the side.
I built the system on the hard disk using a IIx and the installation
floppies, since I wanted a clean installation. Then moved the drive
to the IIcs.
A/UX appears to be operating flawlessly. The modems work flawlessly
under MacOS, except I can not tell if the carrier detect line is there
since no MacOS software that I have tests it.

Now, when I bring up the IIcx as unix, and "init 2", I see the getty's
started on the serial ports, but unfortunately, the getty are not
blocking on the CD line. They are opening immediately, and of course,
some chaos occurs as the login prompt and the modem dish out responses.

I have properly setup /etc/gettydefs, since the same file work for
the Telebits hanging from the IIx. In fact, /etc/gettydefs, /etc/remote,
/etc/dialup, /etc/ttytypes, /etc/inittab, are all the same between the
working IIx and the not working IIcx.

I still suspect the cable of not delivering the CD line, waiting on new
cable to test it.
Anyone know of anything else I might be missing?