Personal System Folders and NFS

Greg Maples maples at ddti.com
Tue Dec 11 05:23:59 AEST 1990

>steveg at ni.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>>I have a CONSISTANT problem where code compiled on an NFS mount does not work
>>correctly or even at all.  What is strange is that all of the phases work
>>fine except for the ld phase.  I was told to turn off the biod's because of a
>>race condition..  this did not help me but I understand that it has helped
>>some others...
>
>I've got this one... most of the time. When compiling to disks from
>the Encore server, I get bad links (the link finishes cleanly, but
>the resulting image is damaged, often in strange and interesting
>ways). On the other hand, when the remote server is a Sun or an A/UX
>machine, I've never seen this problem.

I'm not sure that this is the solution to the above problems, but we have
also had similar problems with ld across NFS.  Our nightly development
build occurs across nfs with a sun 4/370, and we began to find it failing
badly once we started upgrading to A/UX 2.0.

The problem seems to lie (for us) with the ethernet cards.  We found that
16K cards fail, and 64K cards do not.  Apple informed us that the only cards
they support (or endorse) for A/UX are 64K cards.  3COM acted as if they were
totally unaware of this.

Upgrading to 64K cards seems to have solved the problem.  Good Luck.
Greg Maples
maples%ddtisvr at uunet.uu.net
DuPont Design Technologies