out of swap space?!

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Fri Dec 7 00:03:23 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <hamilton.660430833 at kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu>,
  hamilton at kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) writes:
< I am having problems with A/UX 2.0 giving me `Warning: swap space running out.
< needed xx pages', where xx varies depending on what I'm trying to do.  I got
< several of these errors while the system was doing almost nothing.

I see these too:
path              dev  swaplo blocks   free
/dev/dsk/c2d0s1  26,1       0  50000  24095

and the "needed 32 pages" shows up in the console window every ten seconds or
so. That only happens when I'm running MacOS with 12 MByte (four more than
what I have physically), and when some other runaway program starts eating
memory. Somehow, the system gets confused about the state of its swap space.

The "free" part at which these messages appear varies somewhat, but it's
usually around half swap. Unfortunately it won't go away unless I quit
MacOS, which suggests that it has to do something with shared memory.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/