Memory Manager bug and A/UX

Mike Chow mgchow at Apple.COM
Sun Dec 9 12:40:36 AEST 1990

In article <27609460.28659 at orion.oac.uci.edu> rprohask at orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
>The latest issue of PC Week contains an article describing
>a bug found in the memory manager of recent macs.
>
>Does this discovery have any ramifications for A/UX users?, ie,
>does A/UX use the rom memory manager or does it supply its own?
>
>Opening directory windows on my iici is occasionally (not always)
>painfully slow and I'm wondering if this might be the cause.
>
>bob prohaska

Try this:  open a directory window for the first time under the A/UX Finder.
Close it.  Now open it again.  It's much faster!  That's because A/UX needs
to compute the extended Macintosh file attributes for each UNIX file in a
directory.  This information is stored away in a database, so on successive
accesses to that directory, the information is already there.

Mike Chow
mgchow at apple.com