How can I get correct 'xinit' on X11R4

davis william 26373 wdavis at x102c.harris-atd.com
Fri Jul 6 23:08:58 AEST 1990

In article <13127 at shlump.nac.dec.com> furuta at tktv20.enet.dec.com (Akihiro Furuta) writes:
>When I compled xcalc on gcc, I got assembler error message( illegal
>instructions, or something like that). What is the problem?

I haven't used gcc, but have seen this with standard AUX cc and
determined that the problem comes from not enough space in the
root partition for compiler scratch files.  Empty out /etc/wtmp
and eliminate some core files and perhaps x11debug.log files.
Or anything else you don't need in the root partition.  I don't
know where the scratch files go (I would guess /tmp) so I don't know
if it is feasible to try mounting another disc there on some
configurations.  I have found that 2500 blocks free takes care
of some very large compiles, and 1200 blocks free takes care
of small source files.  It would be nice to have a better
error message come out than "illegal instruction" from the assembler.