AUX on non Apple disk drive?

William Roberts liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Sat Jul 7 05:19:44 AEST 1990

In <6313 at helios.TAMU.EDU> ronniek at cs.tamu.edu (Ronnie Killough) writes:

>For example, I now have a 200MB drive from IDS which I am very happy with.
>I don't know what the internal mechanism is ...

There is a cdev from Apple Developer Technical Services called
SCSIProbe which runs under the MacOS and which will tell you
the vendor and product type of your SCSI devices: since this is
freely distributed on the Disc called Wanda you should have no
difficulty getting hold of it. Example output on one of our
systems is:

ID  TYPE  VENDOR        PRODUCT         VERSION
0   DISK  QUANTUM       Q250 76-45004   36
2   ROM   SONY          CD-ROM CDU-8001 3.2i
7   CPU   APPLE         MACINTOSH II    6.03

More information is available from fancier (and more
expensive!) tools. Does anyone out there fancy producing a
little something which will report the following information
for disk and ROM devices?

number of blocks, block size
number of heads
number of tracks
number of blocks per track

The tricky one is the last, since this may vary from track to
track: if it does then I'd also like to know the block number(s)
at which the number of blocks per track changes. This
information is needed to make sensible /etc/disktab entries for
disks, and if there is a variable number of blocks per track,
to choose good partition boundaries to match the disktab entries!

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)