AUX on non Apple disk drive? (yes - and AUX2.0 is shipping...)

Steve Anderson anderson at csli.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jul 9 07:16:02 AEST 1990

In article <2478 at sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk>, liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
> In <1990Jul4.170317.2217 at cbnewsc.att.com> schnable at cbnewsc.att.com (andrew.schnable) writes:
>
> >I was able to get AUX up and running, but, my large free AUX slice was
> >not mounted. I figured that I probably had to make a filesystem and
> >mount it myself. Here I ran into a problem - the instructions in
> >the AUX documentation lead me to believe that this slice should
> >be available under /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 (or something like that -
> >I am not sitting at the machine right now...) But, there were no
> >such nodes in the filesystem! To make a long story short, I had to
> >make the nodes by hand (using mknod), in both /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk.
> >I was then able run newfs to create the file system and mount to mount it.
>
> the pname utility will make the devices for you if they don't
> already exist.

When I built A/UX 2.0 (from the CDROM distribution) there were two
bizarre features to the installed result that concern fiilesystems:

(a) like Andrew Schnable above, I found the device /dev/dsk/cnd0s3
corresponding to the "Unreserved 1" partition I had made was missing.
But in my case, it was /dev/dsk/c4d0s3, which was in fact the ONLY
value of _n_ for which /dev/dsk/cnd0s3 wasn't there. It looks as if
the install somehow systematically fails to create this device if the
corresponding partition actually exists....on the other hand, my
"Unreserved 2" partition on /dev/dsk/c4d0s4 did have the corresponding
device created.
(b) Although I put both my root and /usr partitions (in fact, all my
A/UX partitions) on the disk at SCSI ID 4, for some reason the install
resulted in an entry in /etc/fstab for the partition with "/" as
/dev/dsk/c0d0s0, not c4d0s0. On the other hand, it managed to mount
the right thing.

I've done the install twice now from scratch (trying to fix other
problems). Both these things happened both times.

Steve Anderson
Cognitive Science Center
The Johns Hopkins University
anderson at sapir.cog.jhu.edu