A/UX 2.0 and screwed up DeskTop

JOYE,WILLIAM A wj4 at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Jul 31 08:01:43 AEST 1990

Has anyone else had problems with the DeskTop Manager and A/UX 2.0 for
NFS files?

Problem: DeskTop Manager gets screwed up with certain files mounted
         with NFS. AppleSingle, ASCII, and binary files are randomly
         given bogus Type and Creator info and displayed with the incorrect
         icon. AppleDouble files are not affected. Of the Applesingle
         files, both Applications and Documents are fair game. A look with
         Resedit reveals an incorrect Type and Creator. Also, Resedit can't
         look at the resource fork.

Solution so far: However, the AppleSingle files can be recovered. I login
         via our Gatorbox as an AppleShare. The files show up normal. I
         can copy them or even run them if they are an Application.

Theory:  The DeskTop Manager is got problems with an NFS Applesingle file.
         If the old desktop file method is used, everything is fine.
         The file is not corrupted, (hence can be recovered) but, the
         desktop manager incorrectly reads the header and resource fork
         wrong and concludes it is NOT an valid AppleSingle, even it
         created it in the past. It then decides its a normal unix text
         or binary files and assigns the default icons and info.

Apple, got any comments????? This problem appears randomly. Not all files
are converted at once, just one directory at a time. I can find no correlation
to other events.

Is there anyone else out there w has seen this problem.m? Is there anyone
who is running NFS and A/UX 2.0 and has NOT seen this problem?

Please Reply If you can contribute any information to this problem.

Thanks

Bill Joye
--
JOYE,WILLIAM A
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!wj4
Internet: wj4 at prism.gatech.edu