Another Question

Vicki Brown vlb at magic.aux.apple.com
Tue Jul 31 12:31:07 AEST 1990

In article <2939 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>I forgot to add this to my previous posting, so please forgive me.
>
>You have to specify what type disk most resembles the one which you will be
>installing A/UX. Of course, the have the Apple 20-80-160SC disks, but none
>others other than "generic"...

The A/UX newfs command thinks it needs certain information about your disk.
The information it wants is the number of sectors/track and the number of
tracks/cylinder.  These values are largely for purposes of tuning performance,
and don't have a lot of bearing on SCSI drives.  Pick a disk that resembles
yours in size, or try the generic values (the defaults mkfs uses).

For A/UX 2.0, you will notice that more than just Apple drives are listed in
the Installation menu.  For example, the HD 160 SC is listed with
(CDC Wren V HH) beside it.

(The original design allowed for you to enter your own values if you didn't
want "generic".  Unfortunately.... We thank you for the bug report and I
will get this fixed.)
   Vicki Brown   A/UX Development Group		Apple Computer, Inc.
   Internet: vlb at apple.com			MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.
   UUCP: {sun,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!vlb		Cupertino, CA  95014 USA
              Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?
          (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)