mounting drives

Kurt Marko kmarko at hpdmd48boi.hp.com
Tue Jul 17 01:07:42 AEST 1990

:/ hpdmd48:comp.unix.aux / rmtodd at servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) /  7:13 pm  Jul 13, 1990 /
:>}     I'm having a bit of a problem getting 2 of my HDs to mount when I
:>}launch AUX .. One is a Dataframe 20 SCSI ID 6 and the other is a MicroTech
:>}remov (Syquest) SCSI ID 4 .. I know AUX sees them because I get an error
:>}message when first starting up AUX (something about too much SCSI data) ..
:
:>I am having the SAME PROBLEM!!!   I hope what Apple has told me isn't true,
:>because they told me that they only recognize Mac Drives using the APPLE driver,
:>which you can't get on a third party drive because HD SC Setup will not work
:>with third party drives!!
:
:  Bull hockey.  Complete unmitigated bull hockey.  A/UX works with a good
:many third party hard drives just fine, thank you.  This A/UX box is
:connected to a 330M (non-Apple) external drive which has most of it
:allocated to A/UX.  True, Apple HD SC Setup will not recognize non-Apple
:drives.  There are two ways around this: patch HD SC Setup to take out the
:check for the Apple drive ID, or use a third-party formatter like
:SilverLining by LaCie.  I recommend the latter method; SilverLining's
:fairly inexpensive (~$80, last I checked), and seems to be a good deal more
:flexible than the HD SC Setup program as far as partitioning schemes goes.

I have been unable to get A/UX to mount an hfs (Mac OS) drive, formatted
with SilverLining (v5.??), which has three partitions.  All of the
partitions are hfs (none A/UX), and A/UX is booted from another (Apple)
disk.  I have heard that A/UX may have a fundamental problem mounting
any disk which has more than one hfs partition.  Unfortunately, I haven't
been able to get A/UX to mount even the first partition, it just ignores
the whole disk.

One other disk incompatability I have is with an Iomega Bernoulli Box
(44MB removeable).  A/UX won't mount it either, and when I put Iomega's
driver (a startup init) into my A/UX system folder, the system hangs
(when Macfinder is launched at login).  A call to Iomega tech support
resulted in a response roughtly equivalent to "A/UX...huh?".

If anyone can shed some light (or better yet, offer some solutions)
to either of these problems, I'd love to hear about it.

Kurt Marko
kmarko at hpdmd48.hp.com