A/UX 2.0 initial questions

Thomas Lunde tlunde at umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
Sun Jul 22 11:51:03 AEST 1990

In article (<1859 at ns-mx.uiowa.edu> tlunde at umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu ) I wrote:

> 1)  Is it possible to use AUX with removable hard drives, particularly
> those with Syquest Mechanisms?
>
> 2)  What is the realistic ( not theoretical ) size in M of drive space
> needed to effectivly use AUX?

To summarize the responses,

1)  Yes, if they are setup properly.  There was one recommendation to use
Silverlining to do this.

2)  80M seemed to be the reasonable minimum for everday use.  If disk intensive
use is to be done, >100M is necessary.

Thanks to those who responded.  The orignal (edited) responses follow.

Thomas Lunde

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 1990 07:25:48 PDT

In article <1859 at ns-mx.uiowa.edu> tlunde at umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Thomas
Lunde) writes:
> 1)  Is it possible to use AUX with removable hard drives, particularly
> those with Syquest Mechanisms?

Yes, if you set up the Syquest properly.  Tony Cooper wrote a program that
sets the appropriate SCSI sense state or whatever magic it was.  It's on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the utils directory, I believe.

> 2)  What is the realistic ( not theoretical ) size in M of drive space
> needed to effectivly use AUX?

Insufficient information given to answer this question.  This question is
roughly equivalent to "what car should I drive?"  Specify "use A/UX" more
fully, and I can tell you a better answer.  With that disclaimer, I find
80Mb fine if you're doing routine stuff, but you'll be happier with more
if you do program development.

You can get by on less than 80Mb if you're a masochist.

--Brian Bechtel     blob at apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"