A/UX 2.0 initial questions

Brian Bechtel blob at Apple.COM
Wed Jul 18 01:24:35 AEST 1990

davism at creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) writes:
>I take it [...] that A/UX 2.0 *is* affected by the Mac OS?  Is it
>just in terms of what Mac volumes are recognized or are there other ways?

Hey, I just call them as I see them.  I didn't have anything to do with
writing A/UX; I'm just a (satisfied) user.

If you want to use HFS CD-ROMs, you put the Apple CD-ROM driver in your
MacOS system folder.  HFS CD-ROMs show up on the desktop, albeit with
some strangeness regarding mounting and unmounting.  (The disc has to
be in the drive when you login, and if you drag it to the trash, you
have to logout to eject it.)

If you want to use System V or 4.2 BSD CD-ROMs, nothing extra is
needed.  I've successfully mounted a System V file system CD-ROM.
These discs show up on the desktop under the / icon at their mount
point.

Audio CDs High Sierra CD-ROMs, and ISO 9660 CD-ROMs aren't currently
supported.  I don't know the real reasons, but I suspect that the
mechanism used in the MacOS, Foreign File Access, was too closely tied
to pieces of the MacOS that had to change to support A/UX.  I don't
know what plans are in that area.  I don't work in the A/UX team.

--Brian Bechtel		blob at apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"