AUX on non Apple disk drive? (yes - and AUX2.0 is shipping...)

William Roberts liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Sat Jul 7 05:27:23 AEST 1990

In <1990Jul4.170317.2217 at cbnewsc.att.com> schnable at cbnewsc.att.com (andrew.schnable) writes:

>I was able to get AUX up and running, but, my large free AUX slice was
>not mounted. I figured that I probably had to make a filesystem and
>mount it myself. Here I ran into a problem - the instructions in
>the AUX documentation lead me to believe that this slice should
>be available under /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 (or something like that -
>I am not sitting at the machine right now...) But, there were no
>such nodes in the filesystem! To make a long story short, I had to
>make the nodes by hand (using mknod), in both /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk.
>I was then able run newfs to create the file system and mount to mount it.

the pname utility will make the devices for you if they don't
already exist.

>Does anybody know what the c6d0s30 and c6d0c31 devices are for?
>It looks like c6d0s31 is the entire disk....

Slice 31 is the enitre disk (and always has been). Slice 30 is
the (assumed one and only) Apple_HFS partition which appears on
your desktop under A/UX 2.0 - you don't seem to be able to have
more than one such partition per disk.

>And here's a big YUCK - Apple isn't providing honeydanber UUCP

That's a YUCK?  Honeydanber UUCP likes to talk to itself and
has difficulty with any of the "real" implementations. Myself
I'd vote for UKUUCP but I don't suppose you Americans have ever
heard of it...

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)