How do you turn off AppleTalk?

Mike Nowak mike at terminator.cc.umich.edu
Sun Jul 29 04:13:24 AEST 1990

In article <2585 at sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
>In <1990Jul26.204012.11924 at terminator.cc.umich.edu> mike at terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) writes:
>
>>I need to know how to turn off AppleTalk so I can specify a Chooser
>>printer attached to the printer port.  I tried to build a kernel
>>without AppleTalk, I tried appletalk -d, but I can't figure
>>out how to turn off AppleTalk.  This is for a single machine site
>>so I don't need AppleTalk running.
>
>Try module_dump /unix to check to see if you have really got a kernel
>without AppleTalk. The correct way to uninstall it is to say
>
>	/etc/newconfig noappletalk
>
>If the module_dump doesn't show you that AppleTalk has gone then
>you are either failing the kernel build or getting your kernel from
>elsewhere.

Yes, I uninstalled AppleTalk this way.  I did a kernel dump as you suggested
and I didn't see anything named AppleTalk.

>The certain death to AppleTalk, installed or not, is to move
>/etc/appletalk to another name (e.g. /etc/appletalk.nein_danke)
>in whcih case the attempt to start it (in /etc/startup by the way)
>will fail.

I'll try this although my /etc/startup only seems to be starting bnet.
There's no mention of AppleTalk in the /etc/startup file on my machine.

>Are you sure that you need to turn of AppleTalk anyway?

Well, I have a modem on the phone port and a non-AppleTalk printer on
the printer port.  When I try to select this printer in the Chooser,
specify the printer port, the Chooser asks if I want to turn off AppleTalk.
I click OK but the printer port icon remains unhighlighted.

>William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk

Mike Nowak.