Mac OS Viruses under A/UX 2.0

Mat Davis davism at creatures.cs.vt.edu
Fri Jun 1 23:25:35 AEST 1990

In article <2303 at sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk (Paul Davison (postmaster)) writes:
>...the Macintosh emulation runs as you and
>doesn't subvert the normal A/UX permissions (as far as I can
>tell). It definitely doesn't sidestep the "minfree for root"
>aspect of BSD filesystems.

Oops..that comes from forgetting that I need to 'df' from root to find out
how much space is *really* left; must've been early in the morning :-).

>In <402 at creatures.cs.vt.edu> davism at creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) writes:
>
>>As a last resort, we *could* create a new, clean system folder each time the
>>'guest' user logs in, but that will slow the login process considerably.
>
>Won't help you, unless you have extra clean copies of the
>applications as well.

We're planning to just provide the Mac system files and nothing else (no
applications; the students will have to bring those in on diskette).  So
using symlinks to most of the system files and actual copies of Finder, System,
LaserWriter, and so on shouldn't involve too much overhead.  I'm considering
modifying /mac/bin/mac32 so that *it* would do the copying when invoked, so
that anyone logging in using just the console emulator won't have to wait
for copying files that they won't use.

	Mat Davis
	(davism at vtopus.cs.vt.edu)