Hardlinked directories

James L. Logan logan at rockville.dg.com
Thu Jun 28 08:14:57 AEST 1990

In article <7979.9006261239 at tsuna.cogs.susx.ac.uk>
eddyg at cogs.sussex.ac.uk ("Edward J. Groenendaal") writes:
# And so I'm left with two directories, both empty, which I can't
# delete!!!
#
# Can anyone help me from this predicament???

Cd to one of the directory names that was linked and type
"ls -la".  You said the directories are empty.  How empty? If you
do not see "." and ".." listed,

	1.  cd to the parent directory (Using a full pathname starting
	with "/" since ".." doesn't exist).
	2.  Type "ls -li" and check that the inode numbers are the same
	and that there are only 2 links (there should be).
	3.  Use /etc/unlink to remove both directories.

otherwise if "." and ".." are listed,

	1.  cd to the previous directory.
	2.  Use /etc/unlink to remove ONE of the directories.
	3.  Use /bin/rmdir to remove the other.

--
James Logan                        UUCP: uunet!inpnms!logan
Data General Telecommunications    Inet: logan at rockville.dg.com
2098 Gaither Road                 Phone: (301) 590-3198
Rockville, MD 20850