Login without home directory

William Roberts liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Wed Jun 13 21:59:46 AEST 1990

In <5801 at helios.TAMU.EDU> ronniek at cs.tamu.edu (Ronnie Killough) writes:

>I have a Mac IIci, A/UX 1.1.1.  I want to allow someone to login
>even if they don't have a home directory (i.e. the account is a
>YP account, but their home directory is not mounted).

They do need to have somewhere as a working directory in which
to run their shell. I suggest that you use YP to give everyone
a default working directory, e.g. the password entry

        +:::99:99::/tmp:

which picks up everything from YP except their home directory,
which is replaced by /tmp (the 99s are because I just hate
seeing +::0:0::: in passwd files - I don't know of a security
hole that exploits this, but I'd rather not leave uid 0
associated with no password under any circumstances).

Another alternative is to have a guest home directory with a
.login or .profile (as appropriate) that warns people that they
have guest facilities and are not in their home directories.

PS. Why not mount their home directory anyway?

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)