CD ROMs, graphics accellerators, memory management & AUX

Russell Greenlee russell at uswat.uswest.com
Tue Jun 12 08:51:42 AEST 1990

I have three short but not simple questions for you AUX wizards out
there:

1. Several months ago someone in this group suggested the idea of
running AUX partially from the CD ROM and partially from disk, with
the goal of minimizing the amount of disk spaced used for AUX. Can
this be done? Has anyone tried it?

2. Others in this forum have said that Apple's 8/24 GC graphics
accellerator will not work with AUX 2.0. Does this mean that the card
is totally inaccessible from AUX? Or can it still be used without the
accellerator capability? Does anyone at Apple know when we might see
this accellerator working under AUX?

3. I have heard that unlike AUX 1.1.1, AUX 2.0 unix applications that
use the toolbox must use Mac OS memory management (i.e. handles in a
fixed 8 meg heap) instead of unix memory management. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Russell Greenlee
U S WEST Advanced Technologies
russell at uswest.com