A/UX system access by X.25 login ?

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.UUCP
Thu Jun 14 18:18:16 AEST 1990

[Miguel Calejo asks about accessing an A/UX Mac via X.25]

How did you plan to hook the Mac to the X.25 net?

I'm just exploring this option now, for tunneling LocalTalk through X.25
across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans (but not for A/UX). My understanding
is that you can use routers (such as the cisco) to produce ethernet packets
(assuming you've got one coming from the other side), which you could then
pick up on the Mac. Of course, that's only good if you have only one remote
site with multiple users, not multiple simultaneous remote sites with 1 or
more users.

It would look like this:
Mac A/UX------Router===X.25 PAD< - - - - >X.25 PAD===Router------many macs

where "------" is an ethernet, "===" is some connection like V.35
or RS-449, and "< - - - - >" is the X.25 net itself.

There are other possibilities, too. What exactly is your setup like?

*** Has anyone actually used X.25 yet? I've talked to many companies, including
various parts of Apple, and it's all-talk-no-action, except that the Engage
Communications people claim that a few of their customers have done it. I have
yet to hear back from Cisco, but I'm hopeful...

(I'm sending this article to c.s.m.comm and c.s.m.hardware, as it relates
to both those groups as well. Please follow-up to the appropriate group(s).)

Alexis Rosen
Out on the bleeding edge
apple!panix!alexis
alexis at panix.uucp