can't get /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.hr to run correctly from cron (long)

John R. Galloway Jr. jrg at Apple.COM
Sun Jun 10 00:12:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun8.174503.3125 at servalan.uucp>, rmtodd at servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:
> Note: I don't have A/UX 2.0, so all my replies below are based on 1.1.  I'm
> assuming that the A/UX 2.0 uucp is bug-for-bug compatible with the 1.1 one :-)
>
> jrg at Apple.COM (John R. Galloway Jr.) writes:
> > [a sad saga of how i could not get cron to execute uucp stuff]
>
> /usr/lib/uucp/uuxqt is known (at least under 1.1) to freak severely (start
> eating queued jobs without trace) if the TZ environment variable is not set.
> Why does it do this? Beats me; after all, the /etc/zoneinfo/localtime link is
> there *specifically* to tell what the default timezone is so programs won't
> need the TZ env variable except in special cases.
>   Anyway, cron does *not* set the TZ env. variable, but the default .profile
> files supplied in A/UX do, so uuxqt always works when run from your login
> shell, but not from the cron job.  Here's the script I use for polling uokmax;
> you'll probably want to change the first (blank) line to read "#!/bin/sh",
> since the #! construct is available in 2.0...
> --
> Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
> 	rmtodd at servalan.uucp

YES!!! this was it, setting up TZ in the various scripts made it all work.
Thanks Richard.
	-jrg

--
internet     jrg at apple.com      John R. Galloway, Jr.
(soon to be) jrg at galloway.sj.ca.us
applelink    d3413              CEO..receptionist         795 Beaver Creek Way
human       (408) 259-2490      Galloway Research         San Jose, CA  95133

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!