A/UX Release 2.0

Rick Auricchio rick at Apple.COM
Wed Mar 21 11:57:54 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar20.181959.16435 at smurf.sub.org> urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Why not SVR4?
	Since we've been working on this for over a year, it would've
	been tough to find a V.4 tape, yes?

>Does the A/UX kernel finally support the Berkeley FFS, and/or the
>#!/usr/bin/whatever convention? Or ar these still the "almost" in the above
>"almost anything"?
    Yes, and yes.

>Oh yes, I'd also like to have TIOCCONS instead of /dev/osm, please.
    Oh, well.  Not yet.
>(Ever had "tail -f /dev/osm" cause a kernel bus error?)
    No.

>Is there a decent Mac-like text editor? Or the functional equivalent to the
>MPW Shell? (Long list of superb MPW shell features, sadly missing from Unix,
>omitted.)
	Yes, adapted from MPW.  Called "textedit".

>But can you run the Sun binaries on A/UX, and/or vice versa?
>(The answer is a very obvious "no", right?)
	You're right there.  But you already know that wasn't a *real*
	question, right?  Not much binary compatibility among systems.

>product. It is (good, I mean), but it could be better. What couldn't?
	True.  I expect to be working for a long time perfecting it.
	The more we add, the more we understand needs a bit of polish
	here and there.  But 2.0 has to ship, so many of us reluctantly
	have to forego a bit of polish in favor of getting it to everyone.
Rick Auricchio, Apple Computer Inc, 20525 Mariani Av MS 58A Cupertino CA 95014
sun!apple!rick   OR   rick at apple.COM     Mooney N894AR     (408) 974-4227
		Never eat prunes when you're famished.
My opinion is my own. My employer? They use a windsock and a fire extinguisher.