fsck of root partition won't work

Mat Davis davism at creatures.cs.vt.edu
Fri Mar 23 03:48:55 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar22.155559.25638 at asterix.drev.dnd.ca> louis at asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) writes:
>We are experiencing disappearing partitions. In an effort to
>understand what is happening, we ran fsck on / and got
>the following after the phase.
>
>LINK COUNT TABLE OVERFLOW
>CONTINUE ?
>
>If we answer yes, the same message appears again.  If we answer
>no, it quits.

I've seen this once on one of my machines; if you keep answering 'y' many,
many times the fsck will eventually finish, but then it will reboot the
machine and the same thing will happen.  After going through this cycle
about six times, everything finally cleared up (just keep typing 'y').

To speed the entire process, you can run fsck from sash to avoid the
overhead of launching A/UX, doing the fsck, and then rebooting over and
over.

	Mat